scaa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool FLS Softail Slim - ScottishHD Review

Being an admirer of all styles of motorbikes but being limited to what style I can ride due to my knees pretty much points me in the "cruiser" direction. This, fortunately for me, allows me to keep to my passion for all things Harley. So, I will be working through the cruiser range of Harley Davidson's and a lovely range it is too.

As an owner of, first a FLHR Road King then a FLHTCU Ultra Classic Electra Glide and presently the FLHTK Electra Glide Ultra Limited I am well used to the handling of the bigger H-D cruisers so when my FLHTK decided, on a recent visit to Brechin, that it wanted a wee rest and gave up the ghost, who was I to refuse the help of West Coast Harley Davidson's Don Rutherford (who was also in attendance in Brechin) and I graciously accepted the proffered FLS while Don took my sick FLHTK back to his workshop for repair.

Now, being a rather large chap at 5' 11" the FLS would not spring into my mind as being a model that I would gravitate towards, so it was with some mirth and general craic from the assembled "bikers" that I gingerly lowered myself down onto the the very small seat of the FLS. Taking a few minutes to notice how much taller everyone looked (even Paul) I set up the bikes controls and mirrors for my riding comfort and safety. I started the 103 engine, was pleased with the sound of the Vance and Hines pipes that had been fitted as an optional extra by the shop and pulled out onto the main street of Brechin.

IMG_0085.JPG (2)_800x600.jpg
    IMG_0088.JPG (2)_800x600.jpg

Before I go onto describing the ride of the FLS Softail Slim, I will take some time to describe the look of the bike to those not familiar with this new offering from the MC. Harley have used a set of wide handlebars that are pulled back. The seat is at knee hight (if you were standing next to it) and your feet rest on the Fat boy styled forward set running boards. The tank is a 4.2 gallon (at 43mpg) enough to give you a good range. The front end has a gloss black headlamp cover and the "cat-eye" console with as Harley describe, a retro speedo face! With the horizontal rear shocks hidden in the guts of the machine to give you a hard-tail look the overall style of the bike is a stripped down and lowered FLSTF Fat Boy with a narrow rear tyre and chopped fender it does kind of look like a classic bobber. Its certainly not unpleasing to the eye.

IMG_0096.JPG (2)_800x600.jpg

As I took off for home, I most certainly had a smile on my face. At town speeds, the FLS is a pleasure to ride. The bike steers beautifully around the country corners behaving its self and handling just as a Harley should. Take it out onto the big bad motorways and youíre in for a completely different experience. Even and very modest motorway speeds, the stock seat on this bike makes you hang on for grim death. I was never so glad when I arrived into Dundee for the ride through Fife. Oh, now let me tell you about that hidden suspension. All I can say is, avoid pot holes at ALL COSTS. The suspension on this bike is jarring, thatís all I am going to say about it. Since getting home I have ridden the FLS over motorways and back roads. The bike is definitely meant to be kept off the motorway in its stock configuration.

Would I buy this bike and not customise it? no. Would I buy this bike and spend some $$ on upgrading the seat and suspension? Hell yes, its a fun bike

Facts:

Model: FLS Softail Slim
    Top Speed: 110mph
    Fuel tank: 4.2 gallons (180 miles)
    Power/torque: N/A bhp/93lb ft @ 3,500rpm
    Cost: £14,695

SHD Rating: Three thumbs up (out of five)
    Last edited by RamDez; 24-07-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Re: FLS Softail Slim - ScottishHD Review

Nice right up Dez, I really like this bike and you certainly looked the part driving off into the sunshine at Brechin! Just a pity about the price as I feel its just a wee bit too expensive for what you get, but hey ho !!
    cheers Paul

A good and honest review, will the Slim make it no way,it wont make it,.... and why ?

because only a right TWAT would fork out 15 thousand smackeroos for a naked bike that is worth probably about 8K max, , my friends , I have to admit i am one of these TWATS,

I have bought one, put down a depo...... and have been offered all manner of
    SILLY financial schemes that bring the SLIM up to a total of around 22K TWENTY TWO THOUSAND POUNDS, now that is real serious shit for a naked bike......have I any regrets....No....f_ck all ...,.I am in Love ................again lets dance !!!!!
    Last edited by bulldog hog; 30-07-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Got the Slim today and I'm going to post a one word review............AWESOME!

furs the photos and congrats

and just seen the photos LOL

Congratulations on the bike,
    Hope to se you and the bike at thunder :-)

No Thunder for me this year, I have to work, but I'll be off next year hopefully, ok, I'm away for a now

Asteroids Champion! Space Invaders Champion! Breakout Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Zelda Invaders - Classic Champion! Sniper: Year Two Champion! Funny Buttons Champion! Flashman Champion! Skee Ball Champion! Gorlog Champion! Galaxians Champion! Spear Toss Champion! Street Fighter Champion! Pot Of Monkey 2 Champion! Magnet Towers Champion! GoldWell Champion! Duck Hunt 2: 2 Duck Shooting Champion! The Last Fight Champion! Skyfyre Champion! Ten Pin Bowling Champion! Galagon 2004 Champion! GI Joe Shadow Ascent Champion! Magma Mayhem Champion! Drunk Driver Championship Champion! SpaceMan Champion! Yeti Puzzlekick Champion! Graviton Champion! Froggster Champion! Monkey Run Champion! Bobulous Champion! Jewels Jack Champion! Donkey Kong Champion! Blob Popper Champion! Mario Adventure 2 Champion! Cursed Winds Champion! Notepad Invaders Champion! Alien Rescue Champion! Beach Ballin Champion! Gyroball Champion! Alien Attack Champion! Bomb Jack New Version Champion! Beat the Burglar Champion! Bricks Of Egypt Champion! Burger Time Champion! Berzerk Champion! Ninja Gaiden Champion! Commando Champion! Death Star Champion! Dead Frontier Night Three Champion! Caveman Champion! Bonus Pong Champion! De-Animator Champion! Zelda Mini Game - Cucca Hunt Champion! Scoobys Curse Of Anubis Champion! Vector Defender Champion! Cubex Champion! Resident Evil Apocalypse Champion! A Worm`s Life Champion! Castlevania - The Blood Way Champion! Delta Fighter Champion! Retroshoot Champion!

Unlucky!!!!
    I heard they're no doing it next year!!!

10. Re: FLS Softail Slim - ScottishHD Review

Great photos and congratulations!! Glad you like it have fun.

Congrats looks nice along with the RSD air filter
    cheers Paul

Asteroids Champion! Space Invaders Champion! Breakout Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Zelda Invaders - Classic Champion! Sniper: Year Two Champion! Funny Buttons Champion! Flashman Champion! Skee Ball Champion! Gorlog Champion! Galaxians Champion! Spear Toss Champion! Street Fighter Champion! Pot Of Monkey 2 Champion! Magnet Towers Champion! GoldWell Champion! Duck Hunt 2: 2 Duck Shooting Champion! The Last Fight Champion! Skyfyre Champion! Ten Pin Bowling Champion! Galagon 2004 Champion! GI Joe Shadow Ascent Champion! Magma Mayhem Champion! Drunk Driver Championship Champion! SpaceMan Champion! Yeti Puzzlekick Champion! Graviton Champion! Froggster Champion! Monkey Run Champion! Bobulous Champion! Jewels Jack Champion! Donkey Kong Champion! Blob Popper Champion! Mario Adventure 2 Champion! Cursed Winds Champion! Notepad Invaders Champion! Alien Rescue Champion! Beach Ballin Champion! Gyroball Champion! Alien Attack Champion! Bomb Jack New Version Champion! Beat the Burglar Champion! Bricks Of Egypt Champion! Burger Time Champion! Berzerk Champion! Ninja Gaiden Champion! Commando Champion! Death Star Champion! Dead Frontier Night Three Champion! Caveman Champion! Bonus Pong Champion! De-Animator Champion! Zelda Mini Game - Cucca Hunt Champion! Scoobys Curse Of Anubis Champion! Vector Defender Champion! Cubex Champion! Resident Evil Apocalypse Champion! A Worm`s Life Champion! Castlevania - The Blood Way Champion! Delta Fighter Champion! Retroshoot Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by The - Troublemaker View Post
    Congrats looks nice along with the RSD air filter
    cheers Paul
    Agreed.......just had a look at the pics on the gallery!

Here's Cass bull, she's a right nosey bugger !100_0383.jpgjust back from a blast on the Slim, coming up to 400 miles now100_0389.jpgI'm enjoying the bike more every day100_0391.jpgladies and short arses are going to love this bikeIt is very stable at speed100_0396.jpgthe steering is quick and the bike is responsive and easy to manoeuvre, especially at slow speeds, it isnt intimidating in the least for a 318kg bike.
    The centre of gravity is low, and you have a right torquey porkey powerplant with the 103 engine, I'm fair impressed with the bike, rear suspension is poor, but thats standard on most harleys.

Ride safe people and enjoy life...................time now for a Adios

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bulldog hog; 05-08-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Congrats on the new bike, great review and enjoyed the pics.

Hello all, here's the latest update on the Slim

I'm up to 1553 miles on the Slim now and I'm real impressed, torrential rain, 45-50mph winds, the Slim stays rock steady, for a harley its a superb handling bike, I havent bothered altering anything on it as its very good as standard.

Even at a weight of 312kgs its as responsive and quick steering as a sportster but with twice the power, there's no twitching or wobbling at speed or when cornering or riding aggressively, the Slim handles it all extremely well and inspires confidence in the rider.

I've worn away the back outside edges of both floorboards and the sidestand, but with floorboard and sidestand scraping you still have a good bit of lean left.

I've worked my way through the whole harley range and the only other model that impressed me was the Night Rod, but i had to spend a lot of money getting the handling right.

Aint spent nothing on the Slim, dont have to, it works very well.

Adios amigos
    Last edited by bulldog hog; 26-09-2012 at 07:35 PM.