scaa

Thread: Tyres

Tyres

Keep a low pressure tyre gauge (0psi - 80psi) in your bike tool bag at all times. Try to remember to check your tyre pressure every time you fill up for gas.

Keep your tyres correctly inflated. A tyre that is very under-inflated generates a lot of heat which can lead to a blow out. tyres that run too hot also wear out more quickly. The most common motorcycle breakdown is for tyre damage.

Purchase a pencil-type tyre gauge and use it regularly until you instinctively 'know' what your tyres feel like correctly inflated. Use of the gauge and visual inspections must become second nature.

Become familiar with your motorcycle manufacturer's inflation guidelines. Look in your motorcycle owner's manual to find the right PSI (pounds per square inch) of air pressure for your tires.

Keep in mind that these recommendations are usually dependent upon the weight of you and your passenger, as well as any cargo.

I have been trying to keep to the above guidelines but the placement of the tyre valve on the limited edition Ultra has been causing me all sorts of problems. I asked Edinburgh H-D to fit a right angled valve to the wheels and what a differenceit makes. See photos

wheel (9)_800x451.jpg

Replace your tyres sooner rather than later. If tread depth is 1-2mm it is time to replace your tyres. Take a tip from the mad sport bikers and the canyon racers - they never skimp on their tyres as they are often all that stands between them and the pearly gates.
    Last edited by RamDez; 25-04-2011 at 05:09 PM.

2. Re: Tyres

Nice article Dez , also note if you change your tyres to aftermarket tyres the tyre pressures required may also change from the motorcycle handbook as I found out last year. But the tyre manufacturer should have a pressure guide for different model applications..
    Cheers
    Da Nookster
    SOA, Dunedin, Deva, Tasmania, Republic HOG Texas,

Asteroids Champion! Space Invaders Champion! Breakout Champion! Moon Lander Champion! Zelda Invaders - Classic Champion! Sniper: Year Two Champion! Funny Buttons Champion! Flashman Champion! Skee Ball Champion! Gorlog Champion! Galaxians Champion! Spear Toss Champion! Street Fighter Champion! Pot Of Monkey 2 Champion! Magnet Towers Champion! GoldWell Champion! Duck Hunt 2: 2 Duck Shooting Champion! The Last Fight Champion! Skyfyre Champion! Ten Pin Bowling Champion! Galagon 2004 Champion! GI Joe Shadow Ascent Champion! Magma Mayhem Champion! Drunk Driver Championship Champion! SpaceMan Champion! Yeti Puzzlekick Champion! Graviton Champion! Froggster Champion! Monkey Run Champion! Bobulous Champion! Jewels Jack Champion! Donkey Kong Champion! Blob Popper Champion! Mario Adventure 2 Champion! Cursed Winds Champion! Notepad Invaders Champion! Alien Rescue Champion! Beach Ballin Champion! Gyroball Champion! Alien Attack Champion! Bomb Jack New Version Champion! Beat the Burglar Champion! Bricks Of Egypt Champion! Burger Time Champion! Berzerk Champion! Ninja Gaiden Champion! Commando Champion! Death Star Champion! Dead Frontier Night Three Champion! Caveman Champion! Bonus Pong Champion! De-Animator Champion! Zelda Mini Game - Cucca Hunt Champion! Scoobys Curse Of Anubis Champion! Vector Defender Champion! Cubex Champion! Resident Evil Apocalypse Champion! A Worm`s Life Champion! Castlevania - The Blood Way Champion! Delta Fighter Champion! Retroshoot Champion!

Re: Tyres

Very good advice from these older guys...

Just to add, I have both these items in my tool kit on the bike, I have included links if you want to purchace them yourselves (I am not saying these are the cheepest places to buy them, one should always shop around)

41ftKM8qJBL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Good-Selecti...840972&sr=8-16

41xgFqx7IEL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RAC-Tyre-Ser...sr=1-1-catcorr

The other thing to keep a check on is the pressure in the rear suspension. As it needs a very small amount of air, the proper Harley pump and guage is best, and not toooo expensive. Saves your coxyx from being broken on bumpy roads........and of course for adjusting when you carry a pillion

Good advice guy's sometime's it's all to easy just to get the hog all cleaned-up but spending a few minute's checking pressure's/oil level's etc could make all the differance