PDA

View Full Version : Internal Handlebar wiring advice needed

IainG
25-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Just about to swap out my handlebars. The new bars are going to be interally wired with the switch wires needing to be extended by about 8" ( Bars are already drilled).

I was going to use an 8" extension kit where wires are topped and tailed with crimp connectors already fitted to lengthen the wiring. Seems to take out the hassle of cutting and soldering. Anyone used these type of kits before?

http://www.namzcustomcycleproducts.com/products/handlebar_extension_kits_96_to_06.html#top

Any particular advice or gotcha's I should be looking out for before starting this change?

Thanks

BIG STU
25-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Hi Iain,I used extension loom from Harley when I swapped my bars,easy enough to open plugs and fit in extensions no cutting or soldering required.

Stu

IainG
25-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks for that Stu. Might be a daft question but when you fed the wiring through the bars, did you remove the black pvc protective sheath from the wires for the section inside the bars or did you keep it on for the full length of the wiring?

BIG STU
25-07-2011, 08:10 PM
keep it on mate,put some soap on sleeve to help it through.

Lonerider
25-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Don't think you would have room to use crimp style connectors they are fairly bulky things but good especially the heat sealing ones.

The Colonel
25-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Hi Iain, if you are using a splice kit, make sure you stagger the soldered splices so the joints dont end up at the same level giving you a thick 'pudding' joint and use shrink-wrap as, properly done its neater and thinner than tape. More info if you need it.

IainG
26-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

I dont really trust my soldering skills which is why the kit from Namz appeals. Stu's experience with the same kind of kit from Harley makes me think its worth a shot. It's 6 wires per loom so theres a bit of space inside the outer sheath to cope with the little increase in bulk at the joints I'm thinking. Thats unless someone chips in to say I'm really going to compromise the reliabilty............

Stu was your wiring joins inside the bars or outside on the section running under the tank? How bulky or flexible did it make the loom as I assume the joins on your kit weren't staggered?

BIG STU
26-07-2011, 08:42 PM
The joins were outside the bars inside the headlight nacelle,there was no cutting,splicing or soldering required,the ext kit comes with new crimped connectors already on the wiring loom,all you do is open the existing plug on the loom and remove the old connections,then push home the new connections into the old plug,no more bulky than the old loom just a bit longer.

STU