PDA

View Full Version : side panel/fuse cover

kevinmb
27-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Hiya, I have a 09 XL1200sportster low and I am plagued with the battery/side cover dropping down every time I go over a slight bump in the road. Is this a common fault ?? does any one else have this problem?? Has any one came up with a practical cure?? The plastic clips are awfully fiddley and dont seem man enough for the job..A mate of mine said he used to hold his up with cable ties. I thought this solution a bit rough..Any suggestions or cures are most welcome..

Napoli
27-10-2009, 02:15 PM
Hiya, I have a 09 XL1200sportster low and I am plagued with the battery/side cover dropping down every time I go over a slight bump in the road. Is this a common fault ?? does any one else have this problem?? Has any one came up with a practical cure?? The plastic clips are awfully fiddley and dont seem man enough for the job..A mate of mine said he used to hold his up with cable ties. I thought this solution a bit rough..Any suggestions or cures are most welcome..
Kev, sounds like a design fault and I would be jumpinng up and down at EHD or CVHD until they did something about it. Surely this is a warranty job? I wouldn't be looking for a self fix until HD had exhausted all avenues for a fix. Think that was a rant - sorry :eek:

Bat
27-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Heard of this on several Sportsters - one guy was pulled up by Police as cover was flapping in wind! - if in warranty back to dealer Id say!

kevinmb
27-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Thanx guys , I already mentioned it to the mechanic/service tech at the 1000 mile service. He said it was fixed but another 2-3 miles along the road until the next bump and it was flappin about again.. pisses me off havin to stop and clip it up all the time.. I also think it was crap design only small plastic clips to hold it up too..

Nookster
27-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Werent the older sportsters held on with Chrome screws??... I must admit not looked at the newer sportsers..

As its an 09 reg, I would go back to HD and say youre not happy with it, itsa obviosuly a design issue and still under warranty... I am intrigued now as to how its fastened, must find a new sportster and have a look :D

kevinmb
27-10-2009, 11:23 PM
hi Nookster, it is held on properly at the bottom by a metal band which passes through a slot in the panel but at the top it is only held by 2 plastic clips which in my case seem to give up the ghost at the slightest of bumps and the panel flaps down to be left swinging about on the metal clip.. It cant be lost or fall off as it is captured by the metal clip but is quite annoying flapping about there all the time

Rightful Grunt
28-10-2009, 12:43 AM
Right now I am intrigued! I went and had a look at my other half's Sportster and took the panel off (and not without some effort I might add!). Ostensibly that is correct (two plastic clips holding panel on at top edge) - however there are two locating slots cut into the panel and when you push the panel back onto the clips there is a definite click as the lugs on the clips slip into the locating holes.

I suggest that either your 'clips' lugs are defective or the panel isn't being properly seated or your Local Authority needs to spend more money on its roads!

RG :cool:

jim-ROI
28-10-2009, 12:45 AM
Werent the older sportsters held on with Chrome screws??... I must admit not looked at the newer sportsers..

As its an 09 reg, I would go back to HD and say youre not happy with it, itsa obviosuly a design issue and still under warranty... I am intrigued now as to how its fastened, must find a new sportster and have a look :D
the 2000 models have the chrome screws but there only decrotive the triangle is held in place by three grommets mounted on lugs on the frame three bullet shaped studs with raised rings keep the lot in place pretty good design bit of an oopps first time you try to take cover off an its still in place with the screws out but there you go hope this helps
jim

scooterjim
28-10-2009, 11:10 PM
I had the same problem only mine bounced on the motorway and ended up on the hard shoulder. They got replaced and I also tie wrapped around the bottom which didn't stop it flapping down,But stopped it falling off. I ended up with a couple of self tapper screws through the plastic clips. Job done

scooterjim
28-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Sorry they replaced the clips not my damaged cover. The screws are small and hidden by the seat

jim-ROI
29-10-2009, 12:14 AM
kev
had a look at my mates 05 sporty today clips are cheap and nasty looking items look like they wont take a lot of on off work one of his dont do anything just there he rigged up a tie wrap that quick releases says he wont buy a new clip as there so flimsy as yours 09 front and centre at the dealers counter plus a couple o spares all the best
jim

IainG
29-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Sounds like an issue with the current clips for some reason.

On my 05 custom the clips are solid and as Rightfull Grunt said takes some effort to get them off, so never had any issue with the panel coming loose. My understanding was that they are still the same clips on the new models and have not been modified from what is fitted to the earlier rubbermount sportys.

So definately back to the dealer for warranty resolution I would think too.

georgiebd
30-10-2009, 01:54 AM
iv the same prob on my sportster but with only 1 clip left as the other one fell off and got lost when the panel was falling off again,i now use a piece of braided nylon string where the old clip was located and tied to the frame,its very john wayne but iv not lost the panel [yet],but scooterjims solution sounds as good as any?

Rockin
30-10-2009, 01:24 PM
I too had the same problem - mine fell open on my very FIRST ride on my new toy, used a clip tie to secure for the duration, EHD fixed the clip back on (which fortunately I stil had) but then kept doing it again - took to EHD for 1000 mile service and they said it was a design fault, happening to quiet a few - so sorted once again - hopefully that is the end of it!!:rolleyes:

kevinmb
01-11-2009, 05:54 PM
hi guys , thanx for all the replies and info I will try the dealer for a resolution in the 1st instance before I start with the self remedies

robert-boyd
01-11-2009, 11:08 PM

I agree with rightful grunt. Make sure the lugs on the clips are properly located. It requires some effort to take the panel off when properly fitted on my sportster custom

georgiebd
14-02-2010, 10:24 PM
aye ,iv the same problem but with only one clip remaining on the top,the idea of the screws suggested would be a better idea than my piece of string""holding the top,i think a cable tie on the bottom moght also give a bit of piece of mind to save total loss?

Pittmech
14-02-2010, 11:01 PM
I rekon scooter jims solution is the best option you have for a low cost but permanent fix. a small pilot hole and a couple of stainless steel self tappers shouldnt take long and probably look factory fitted anyway.
Definatly a design fault that should be brought to Harley UK attention.

kevinmb
15-02-2010, 06:15 AM
I now traded in this bike but before doing so I fitted a very small cable tie (tiewrap) on the top as it had a metal clip on the bottom which was quite secure but laft the panel swinging in the wind when the top gave way..

robert-boyd
11-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Edinburgh HD have new modified clips which I've fitted to mine.