PDA

View Full Version : 883 lighting for SVA

AllyM
21-06-2009, 06:36 PM
My girlfreinds 883 needs to go for an SVA test. It has amber turn signals but came from the US. Does it need any other lighting change as it looks to me like the turn signals are on all the time and then flash when you operate the switch.

Ally

The - Troublemaker
21-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Yeah Ally you need to change the turn signals as it won't pass with this, you could always change it back after test ;)
cheers Paul

Road King #1
21-06-2009, 07:32 PM
My girlfreinds 883 needs to go for an SVA test. It has amber turn signals but came from the US. Does it need any other lighting change as it looks to me like the turn signals are on all the time and then flash when you operate the switch.

Ally

Hi Ally,

You will need to replace the headlight (should be just the sealed beam unit) also as this will dip to the right and not the left as required in the UK.

Regards :cool:

Road King #1
21-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Yeah Ally you need to change the turn signals as it won't pass with this, you could always change it back after test ;)
cheers Paul

Just add to what Paul says, it maybe that a Kuryakyn kit has been fitted and there should be a switch which allows you to change back to standard indicators (just a maybe)

Regards :cool:

The Colonel
21-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Having installed US spec indicator/marker lights before. Their should be one general lighting feed wire in each of the indicator looms (usually 1 lighting feed wire 1 for indicator and 1 return-earth). All that is necessary is to disconnect this feed at the end of each loom (usually a multiplug under the tank or cut it and insulate inside each indicator housing)). You will have to keep using the dual filament bulbs for their indicator function only.
The amber front marker lights are not legal in the UK

Vtwin
21-06-2009, 08:50 PM
One of my previous bikes had US indicator lenses which were standard amber but with a blue lens in the middle about the size of a 1p coin. They failed it stating that when the indicator was on it constituted a flashing blue light.:eek: :|

Had to replace them with standard lenses to get the M.O.T.;)

AllyM
21-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks for all the info. I figured I could just drop the feed to the indicators. Never thought of the headlamp. I'll check with Jim Hay tomorrow as I going by him for a new battery tomorrow anyway.

Thanks again guys.

Ally

Mr Sheen
21-06-2009, 10:18 PM
cheers Paul

when are your lights getting sorted LED

The - Troublemaker
23-06-2009, 08:51 PM
when are your lights getting sorted LED

:off topic:Don't you worry about me chief, at least l use my bike and l'm no a fair weather biker ;):D:D:D:D:off topic:
cheers Paul

AllyM
03-09-2009, 07:02 PM
I finally got round to getting the new headlamp unit for my girlfriends bike. Problem I have is the new uk spec unit has another lamp in it at the bottom that the old one didn't. What's this for and what connects to it.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/5110/img0194z.th.jpg (http://img210.imageshack.us/i/img0194z.jpg/)
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3148/img0195v.th.jpg (http://img210.imageshack.us/i/img0195v.jpg/)

I had thought it was just a case of changing the unit but apparently not. Any help appreciated.

Ally

Nookster
03-09-2009, 07:51 PM
Thats your side light, (required by UK standards I think). Should be permanently on with headlight.

AllyM
03-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Thats your side light, (required by UK standards I think). Should be permanently on with headlight.

So do I just feed that straight off the low beam?

Ally

Nookster
03-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Not sure, as if you went to hi beam it would go off?. I dont have a sportster wiring diagram to look at... If I get chance I'll find my softail wiring diagram and see where its wired to... Might not be able to answer for a day or two, as will be away for couple of days. Any techie guys out there?..

AllyM
05-09-2009, 11:53 AM
Does anyone have the wiring schematic for a UK over US 883. At least then I can check the differences and wire accordingly.

Ally