View Full Version : side stands

jim-ROI
04-02-2009, 11:01 PM
calling on the tech heads
anybody found side stand on sportster slightly too long
stand down bars to left its ok ish
stand down bars to the right bike sits up slightly
as in ooohh shit giving it a wash :o:o:o
and crash one busted rear indicator slight cut on rubber on throttle and ball end busted on brake lever
and one chip out of pin stripe to colour on tank:eek::eek::eek::mad:
on the japs turn bars left lean
turn bars right better lean
has any body fitted a shorter stand for more stability to the sportster
jim-ROI

Nookster
05-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Had two sportsters, never had a problem with side stand..?.. Has the bike been lowered at any time??.. Just wondered if it has lowered suspension creating this issue?.. I am not aware of a fix, sorry..

keith
06-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Hi Jim
You might like to look at E bay shop HOGPARTS UK

they sell what they call a lean right motorcycle stand

that you slip between frame and engine to allow bike to be leant over to the right. It is meant for servicing but could solve your problem,about 40.
comes in 19in or 24in size and cheaper than replacement bits.

Hope this helps,
Cheers Keith.

jim-ROI
06-02-2009, 08:56 PM
thanks guys
the stand just seems to be 1/2 3/4" to long by my reckoning hasnt been lowered just not stable on full lock to the right a good breeze of wind would knock it over
fitted a pair of mini winkers to the one off rack which was the plan any way but didnt need to bust the original
thanks again guys
jim

BIG STU
07-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Hi Jim,

Never had any bother with my Sporty with bars on either lock ,

Stu

MikeT
09-02-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey Jim - put a lowering kit on Mandy's Sporty a couple of years ago and it came with a slightly shorter side stand which works a treat - standard H-D fare so maybe one of those on u r standard height model will give the desired lean angle that you're looking for .....................just a suggestion, hope you come right!
Cheers
Ride Safe and Enjoy
MikeT

jim-ROI
09-02-2009, 08:25 PM
hi mike
have you got a part no for the shorter stand or where i might get one
jim

MikeT
10-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Hey Jim - will have a scratch around old invoices to see if we still have the part no, failing that will contact the guys at H-D in SA and get it from them. Will get back to you ASAP.
Cheers
Ride Safe and Enjoy
MikeT
............ OK, problem: the shorter Jiffy stand comes complete with the Low Rear Shock Kit, H-D p/n 54750-05 which is the one I fitted to Mandy's Sporty 1200R - maybe if you spoke nicely to the guys at H-D they might have one in the parts dept for some reason, failing that I have had really good service from Ali at V Twin Mania on anything H-D. Web address is www.vtwinmania.co.uk.
Good hunting
Mike T

jim-ROI
10-02-2009, 09:48 PM
hi mike
thanks have had a few bits from ali will try himjust not got faith in the lock to the right thought a stand from the big twins might fit they look shorter may be not
thanks again
jim
keep it tween the ditches